The students at Powhatan Elementary School are high-achieving learners, who leave our school prepared to meet the challenges and high expectations of middle school. All students participate in rigorous curriculum and high quality opportunities for growth. As successful lifelong learners and productive citizens, our students achieve their fullest potential making a positive difference in our school and community.
The mission of Powhatan Elementary School is to provide students with a diverse education in a safe and nurturing learning environment that prepares them for post-secondary opportunities. By providing students with authentic and rigorous learning experiences that promote critical thinking, collaboration, engagement, and the use of technology, each child will be prepared for college and/or careers.
- ALL children can learn, and it is our responsibility to do whatever it takes to ensure that all children meet the standards for learning set by the school, county, and state.
- We are in the business of learning, not teaching. Failure is not an option. We need to be committed to doing whatever is necessary to help every child succeed.
- When people work together it benefits both students and staff.
- Learning should be interactive, engaging and meaningful with real world, authentic connections.
- Learning should be fun (coming to work should be fun!)
- All people should be treated with respect at all times.